Adlershof

A center of science with a long tradition

1909
The first German air show for motorized aircrafts is being held at the airfield Johannisthal. Subsequently, the adjacent Adlershof becomes a mecca for the European aviation industry.

1912
The re-established German Aeronautics Research Institute (DVL) lays the foundation for a century of scientific activity in Adlershof.

1920
After World War One, the movie industry establishes itself in Adlershof with more than a hundred movies being shot in the years to come, such as »Nosferatu« by Friedrich Wilhelm Murnau. The media center Adlershof is born.

1932 – 1936
In the 1930s, the DVL plays a decisive role in the development of the aeronautics research and aviation industry in Germany. Today, a number of buildings still bear witness to the early days, for instance the wind tunnel, the »spin tower« and the engine test bed.

1949
The first institutes of the German Academy of Sciences of Berlin take up residence in Adlershof.

1951
The re-established »Regiment A« of the East German GDR becomes the military branch of the Ministry of State Security (after 1967 known as »Regiment Feliks E. Dzierzynski«).

1972
The German Academy of Sciences of Berlin is being renamed Academy of Sciences (AdW) of the GDR.

1976
The Soviet spacecraft Sojus 22 circles the earth. A multi-spectral camera, developed and produced in Adlershof, takes the sharpest pictures. It is the precursor of the High Resolution Stereo Camera (HRSC) which is, among other things, being used in the course of the current ESA Mars Express mission.

1989
Adlershof is the biggest scientific center of the AdW with a total of approx. 5,500 employees.

1991 – 1992
Following German reunification, the research institutes of the former AdW are being evaluated by the Scientific Council. The results of this evaluation lead, from 1992 onward, to the re-establishment of eight non-university research institutions and over 100 business enterprises.

1992
The non-university research institutions incorporate in the Joint Initiative of Non-University Research Institutions in Adlershof (IGAFA). In the same year, the Federal State Government of Berlin decides to turn Adlershof into an »integrated scientific and business center«. The aim is to engender synergies between research and industry and thus facilitate the production of innovative inventions.

1994
The area Johannisthal/Adlershof, measuring 420 hectares in total, is being officially declared an »urban development zone«. The WISTA-MANAGEMENT GMBH is being set up to run the Technology Park Adlershof. Modern centers of excellence are being established on the premises in order to encourage startups. The major part of the construction projects is made possible by subsidy payments from the EU.

1997
The Federal State Government of Berlin resolves to relocate the natural science faculties of the Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin (HUB) to Adlershof.

1998
The Department of Computer Science is the first natural science faculty of the HUB to move to Adlershof.

2003
The move of six natural science faculties of the HUB is completed.

2009
The Technology Park Adlershof celebrates »100 Years of Innovation in Adlershof« and »20 Years since the Fall of the Berlin Wall«.

2013
Nowadays, Adlershof is one of the 15 biggest technology parks in the world. It comprises eleven non-university research institutions, the natural science faculties of the Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin as well as 400 high-tech companies. 22,000 people undertake research, work, teach and learn side by side in Adlershof.

.

More information about Adlershof: www.adlershof.de